EVERYTHING PRACTICING PHYSICIANS AND PHARMACISTS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DRUG THERAPY FOR CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE
A critically acclaimed classic reference now in its third edition, Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapeutics, provides current information regarding the contemporary use of all available cardiovascular medications for adults and children. Strongly emphasizing the scientific rationale behind the use of such cardiovascular therapeutics, it discusses new drugs and novel compounds that are under development and may emerge as the cardiac therapies of the future. This edition also addresses special considerations for drug therapy use in the elderly, during pregnancy, and in those with hepatic or renal disease. A generous assortment of tables, figures, and appendices guides readers in their investigations of each drug group and various disease states.
This edition is organized into 4 main sections.
- The introductory section includes chapters related to relevant clinical pharmacology, the placebo effect in cardiovascular disease treatments, patient adherence to pharmacotherapy, and pharmacoeconomics.
- The available cardiovascular drugs are reviewed, and each class of drugs is organized into separate chapters. In these chapters the reader will find detailed discussions on how to use individual drugs for prevention and treatment. New drugs in development for each class of agents are also reviewed. Compared to the first 2 editions, the editors have provided hundreds of updated reference citations, as well as adding new chapters on drugs for pulmonary hypertension, vasopressin and vasopressin antagonists, and drug-eluting stents. Since cardiovascular clinicians do not practice in a vacuum, there are also chapters in this section that deal with the pharmacotherapy of obesity, diabetes mellitus, and smoking cessation as it relates to the cardiac patient.
- Special topics related to cardiovascular pharmacotherapy that the clinician will often encounter and includes chapters on alternative and complementary medicine, cardiovascular drug drug interactions, pediatric cardiovascular pharmacology, antibiotic prophylaxis and treatment guidelines for endocarditis and rheumatic fever, and drug therapy of cerebrovascular and peripheral vascular diseases. The section concludes with a chapter on cytokines and myocardial regeneration as a new therapeutic option for cardiac disease and a final chapter that summarizes the status of more than 200 agents that are currently in clinical trials as innovative treatments for cardiovascular disease.
- 8-part appendix provides practical, hands-on information on using drugs in clinical settings.
- Provides relevant pharmacokinetic information regarding all the available cardiovascular drugs.
- Offers practical drug prescribing information.
- Guides for using cardiovascular drugs in specific patient populations.
This book features an accompanying website, Advances in Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapeutics(cvpct3.com), which highlights advances in cardiovascular drug therapy. Each chapter in the book is updated periodically online with links to new studies; the original chapter authors oversee the updates. In addition, new cardiovascular drugs approved for clinical use by the FDA are reviewed. Readers may communicate directly with the authors and editors through the website regarding topics related to cardiovascular drug use.